1. The Smart ForTwo is ugly - no, that's not cute, that's hideous. The Miata, Beetle and Fiesta are cute. Even the long gone Dodge Neon could teach the Smart a thing or two about good looks.
2. The transmission is terrible - they call it an automatic but it feels like a 15 year old girl who just got her learner's permit is shifting it for you - jerky and unrefined.
3. The Smart Car is not inexpensive - about the same price as a nicely equipped Kia Forte or Honda Civic. Pssst, just get one of those instead and you'll get to forego the "why am I so stupid" speach you will no doubt give yourself every morning,
4. It's noisy, and hard to control at freeway speeds. Safety cage, shmaftey cage - it better have some protection because as jittery as the Smart is on the highway, you're bound to wreck eventually.
5. It is PAINFULLY slow - 0-60, no not really, highway merging? Do not attempt.
It's just a horrible little car - get a Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cruze, Kia Forte, Scion xD or even a pedal car instead - even Roddy the bouncing pony is more refined. Unless you're getting the Smart as a toy for your car loving kid, skip it.